Less than ten of these four wheel drive versions of the Opel Blitz are throught to be in the US. The Opel Blitz was one of the standard trucks of the German Army during WWII. It was named the Blitz (Lightning) as a result of a contest held by Opel, because it was fast for its day (the grill insignia is a lighting bolt). Around 25,000 of the 4 WD Allrads were built during the war, compared to over 82,000 of the regular rear wheel drive "S" class of the Blitz. The Allrads were in production from 1940 until the Brandenburg factory was destroyed by British bombers in August 1944. This particular vehicle was built April 1944. The Allrads were used for vitally important uses such as ambulances, field kitchens, radio trucks, e
This U.S. halftrack was purchased from a Midwest collector in 2009. The American halftracks were built by the Autocar Company, Diamond T Motor Company, International Harvester, GMC, and this particular model was built by White Trucks. It is armed with a .30cal Browning machine gun in the rear troop compartment and a heavy Browning .50cal machine gun in a forward ring mount over the front passenger seat. Note that as pictured above with a new paint job, the wartime insignia have yet to be added when the photo was taken. The straight side armor plate of the American halftracks did not afford the same degree of protection as did the angled armor of the German tracks.
The Willys MB US Army Jeep, along with the nearly identical Ford GPW, was manufactured from 1941 to 1945. The U.S. Army called this type of vehicles "GP" for an abbreviation of "General Purpose" vehicle. They are considered the iconic World War II Jeep. During WWII, Willys produced 363,000 Jeeps and Ford some 280,000. This jeep was made in 1944 and is powered by the standard 4 cylinder side valve, flat head Willys "Go Devil" engine and was acquired in 2008 in Tampa, Florida. This vehicle at the end of WWII remained in the Philippines and was in private use on Clark Air force Base until it's evacuation and closure after the eruption of Mount Pinatubo in 1991. Over the years, the World War II jeep later evolved into the "CJ" civilian Jeep and has been recognized as a symbol of rugged individualism in twentieth century American History.
Purchased from a collector in Charlotte, NC in 2007. The Czech firms of Skoda and Tatra were involved in the production of the German Sdkfz 251 halftracks during the war 1939-1945. After the war, the Czech government continued production of a very similar vehicle at the Skoda and Tatra facilities until the mid 1960’s, often using wartime parts. The German halftrack was ahead of it’s time in the use of angled armor to increase its protection. This particular halftrack underwent a major conversion during the winter of 2008-2009 to convert it to a model 17. The model 17 had the sides expanded and hinged to drop down. A Flak 38 20 mm anti-aircraft cannon was then mounted inside the track and an MG 42 machine gun was mounted on the rear. When the sides are lowered, it forms a platform for the crew to service the gun during AA operations. For ground operations, the sides are raised. During the war, fewer than 100 model 17s were built, and all of them were used exclusively by the Luftwaffe Hermann Goering Division.
This ambulance was made in 1942 by Dodge and was the standard US Army ambulance of WWII. It was used by the Medical Corps to transport sick and wounded personnel. The WC-54 was present in all theatres of war. In total 23,000 WC-54s were produced. The Dodge WC-54 was based on the well known 3/4 ton Dodge chassis, which for this purpose got a longer wheelbase and adjusted suspension. The closed sheet-metal body was made by Wayne body works. It offers room for a driver and four to seven patients plus a medic. If the fold-away bunkstetchers are used, four patients can be transported.
The Dodge WC-54 is powered by a dodge six cylinder flat head side valve engine. Deliveries of the ambulance, charmingly dubbed "the meatwagon" by U.S. troops, began in May 1942 and the design was "standardized" on 23
October 1942 replacing the earlier 1/2 ton WC-9, 18 and 27 series of ambulances.
This vehicle, 'The Ole Rugged Cross', was purchased in 2009 from a collector in Nebraska.
Purchased in 2000 from InterOrdnance Inc. near Charlotte, NC. The Kubelwagen or “bucket seat car” was the German equivalent of the American Jeep during WWII. Although it was 2 WD compared to the American 4 WD Jeep, it performed well given its light weight, high ground clearance, and rear engine design. The Type 82 was designed by Ferdinand Porsche and the chassis was built by Volkswagen at the Wolfsburg factory from 1940 – 1945. The body was built in Berlin by the American owned firm of Ambi Budd. It’s thought that around 200+ Kubelwagens are in the US.